Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sometimes you choose the project

And sometimes the project chooses you. When I finished the stitching on the Florentine  Ornament I want digging in the WIP basket for a new project. I had a few ideas about what I wanted to pull out, but for some reason I couldn't manage to locate any of them. Instead I kept pulling out the same project, a one-color wonder from Waxing Moon Designs. This one is #147 Frugal Samplings.  
I originally purchased it from the wonderful (but no longer in business) Cross Stitch Corner because it reminded me of my mom. She used to repeat that same saying, always remarking that it was sometihing her dad would say when she was growing up during the depression. 

This is what I had stitched 4 or 5 years ago before moving on to something new:

As you can see I was still trying to decide on a color!  I've settled on using the darker color--DMC 4130.  It's a color she would have loved. 

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lenten reading

Who knew that Johnny Cash had written a novel about Johnny Cash?  I didn't, but having learned about it recently I decided to track down a copy and read it. 

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Almost finished...

As soon as my beading needles and filament arrive I will be able to attach the beads to my ornament and then it will be ready for the finisher!

Monday, February 9, 2015

Weekend deal!

One of our televisions died this weekend. A new one really wasn't at the top of the "must have" list so I wasn't going to go splurge and buy one. But when the hubby and I went out on Saturday to vote and get lunch we stopped by The Purple Cow, a local resale shop that supports the charitable works of a coalition of our downtown churches "just to look".  The hubby found us a great bargain--a 20" color set with a remote for all of $8.99!  Even after the tax was added the total price was still under $10!   I love resale, consignment, second-hand, and thrift shops!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

February's UFOs

You've already seen the WIP for February, so I thought I would show you the two UFOs that will get the finishing touches this month. Both are projects that I stitched when I was part of the Sticklounge group. 

I plan to finish the heart as a small heart shaped pillow and I will finish the bells into a small ornament. 

Monday, February 2, 2015

February's WIP

This is the stitching project for February:  First Florentine Ornament by Gay Ann Rogers. Once this one is finished I will take it to the local needlework shop for finishing. My finishing skills don't extend to canvas yet!

Sunday, February 1, 2015

UFO #1

I want to see how many UFOs I can finish this year--and I do mean FINISH!  So I am concentrating my stitching time on that goal. 

So I'm dragging out the partly-stitched items and the stitched-but-not-finished works and one by one I'm going to get them finished. 

Here's the first one. This little ornament was a chart from the now-defunct Sticklounge Yahoo group. The year we got the chart I stitched the tree, and then moved on to some other project. So yesterday I pulled it out, finished the stitching, and made it into an ornament.  

This is the first time I've attempted an ornament that wasn't a square or a rectangle. It is a little bit out of shape, but I'm happy with the results.